Discussions about interactive fiction

I might be new here, but I am hardly new

I just read through the last six months worth of posts. Yes, it took a
little while.

I am old enough to remember the golden days of Infocom and their ilk.

Based upon what I have read here, why should I even be here?

I have some ideas to get the art form back up and running. It isn’t the
"ancients" like me; it is my grandchildren. My oldest granddaughter is
now reading, likes figuring things out, and Zork is a little too
complicated for her. We need some games that challenge the beginners. I
am creating one specifically for her, but I have six more behind her.
Not all of them will enjoy reading, writing, and interacting, but we
have a lot of children who can utilize this kind of medium to enhance
reading, put sentences together (an enhanced parser to help) and
interact with the story.

How about some discussions about things like this? Technology behind
doing it? Parser issues? Feedback? Storylines? Appropriate content?
Desirable stories?

— news://freenews.netfront.net/ – complaints: n…@netfront.net —

.
posted by admin in Uncategorized and have Comments (17)

17 Responses to “I might be new here, but I am hardly new”

  1. admin says:

    Here, pander <pande…@yahoo.dot.com> wrote:

    > I just read through the last six months worth of posts. Yes, it took a
    > little while.

    > I am old enough to remember the golden days of Infocom and their ilk.

    > Based upon what I have read here, why should I even be here?

    You should then be at http://intfiction.org/forum , which has been

    getting most of the traffic that used to be on this newsgroup.

    > I have some ideas to get the art form back up and running. It isn’t the
    > "ancients" like me; it is my grandchildren. My oldest granddaughter is
    > now reading, likes figuring things out, and Zork is a little too
    > complicated for her. We need some games that challenge the

    > beginners.

    I’d say there have been a couple of those. :) http://ifdb.tads.org/

    may also point you at lists of IF games intended for kids.

    –Z


    "And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the borogoves…"

    *

  2. admin says:

    Andrew Plotkin wrote:

    > You should then be at http://intfiction.org/forum , which has been

    > getting most of the traffic that used to be on this newsgroup.

    That’s undoubtedly true, but it’s a bit of a shame IMO.  It’s harder to
    follow discussions on a forum.  (If you read the RSS feed you get all
    the discussions mixed together, and if you look at the forum itself, you
    have to hunt through the whole site looking for new posts.)

    Perhaps things are looking up for this newsgroup.  We made it through
    the last full moon without a massive flamewar, let’s see if we can keep
    it up. :-)

    Pete

  3. admin says:

    - Hide quoted text — Show quoted text -

    On Wednesday, 21 November 2012 21:21:13 UTC+10, Pete Chown  wrote:

    > Andrew Plotkin wrote:

    > > You should then be at http://intfiction.org/forum , which has been

    > > getting most of the traffic that used to be on this newsgroup.

    > That’s undoubtedly true, but it’s a bit of a shame IMO.  It’s harder to

    > follow discussions on a forum.  (If you read the RSS feed you get all

    > the discussions mixed together, and if you look at the forum itself, you

    > have to hunt through the whole site looking for new posts.)

    No you don’t, there’s a link in the top of every page that takes you to the new posts: "View unread posts"

    (I think the "View new posts" takes you to topics from the last day or so, even if you have read them. Rather less useful.)

  4. admin says:

    - Hide quoted text — Show quoted text -

    Andrew Plotkin wrote:

    > Here, pander <pande…@yahoo.dot.com> wrote:

    >> I just read through the last six months worth of posts. Yes, it took a
    >> little while.

    >> I am old enough to remember the golden days of Infocom and their ilk.

    >> Based upon what I have read here, why should I even be here?

    > You should then be at http://intfiction.org/forum , which has been

    > getting most of the traffic that used to be on this newsgroup.

    >> I have some ideas to get the art form back up and running. It isn’t the
    >> "ancients" like me; it is my grandchildren. My oldest granddaughter is
    >> now reading, likes figuring things out, and Zork is a little too
    >> complicated for her. We need some games that challenge the

    >> beginners.

    > I’d say there have been a couple of those. :) http://ifdb.tads.org/

    > may also point you at lists of IF games intended for kids.

    > –Z

    Thank you on both items. I will keep reading here for at least a time or
    two.

    news://freenews.netfront.net/ – complaints: n…@netfront.net

  5. admin says:

    Dannii wrote:

    > No you don’t, there’s a link in the top of every page that takes you

    > to the new posts: "View unread posts"

    Thanks, that’s useful to know.

    Pete

  6. admin says:

    - Hide quoted text — Show quoted text -

    pander <pande…@yahoo.dot.com> wrote:

    > I just read through the last six months worth of posts. Yes, it took a little while.

    > I am old enough to remember the golden days of Infocom and their ilk.

    > Based upon what I have read here, why should I even be here?

    > I have some ideas to get the art form back up and running. It isn’t the

    > "ancients" like me; it is my grandchildren. My oldest granddaughter is

    > now reading, likes figuring things out, and Zork is a little too

    > complicated for her. We need some games that challenge the beginners. I

    > am creating one specifically for her, but I have six more behind her. Not

    > all of them will enjoy reading, writing, and interacting, but we have a

    > lot of children who can utilize this kind of medium to enhance reading,

    > put sentences together (an enhanced parser to help) and interact with the story.

    > How about some discussions about things like this? Technology behind

    > doing it? Parser issues? Feedback? Storylines? Appropriate content? Desirable stories?

    > — news://freenews.netfront.net/ – complaints: n…@netfront.net

    One advantage of interactive text adventures is that it allows the child to

    image things in their mind and be creative where
     graphic computer games seems to rob them of this. Solving puzzles is good

    for the brain no matter what age you are.

    Maybe there should be some rating put on text adventured like they do for

    movies.

    For children its better to write a game that is not too difficult to solve

    to give them an sense of achievement. Having lots of clues and hints helps.

    Back in the days when Zork was being sold I felt that I was not getting my

    moneys worth if I got struck in an adventure and could not more forward to

    enjoy the rest of the game. In those days you did not have the internet to

    find some clues to help making some progress in the game.


    Regards Brian

  7. admin says:

    Andrew Plotkin <erkyr…@eblong.com> wrote:

    > Here, pander <pande…@yahoo.dot.com> wrote:

    >> I just read through the last six months worth of posts. Yes, it took a
    >> little while.

    >> I am old enough to remember the golden days of Infocom and their ilk.

    >> Based upon what I have read here, why should I even be here?

    > You should then be at http://intfiction.org/forum , which has been

    > getting most of the traffic that used to be on this newsgroup.

    But if your going to refer everyone to this forum then what is the purpose

    of this newsgroup?

    I find newsgroups easier to use than forums.


    Regards Brian

  8. admin says:

    Hello.

    Brian wrote in message

    <1995350832375541063.785154bclark-es.co…@free.teranews.com>…

    >pander <pande…@yahoo.dot.com> wrote:

    >Back in the days when Zork was being sold I felt that I was not getting my

    >moneys worth if I got struck in an adventure and could not more forward to

    >enjoy the rest of the game. In those days you did not have the internet to

    >find some clues to help making some progress in the game.

    Right. You had the magazines with hints and cheats.

    Bye, Katzy.

  9. admin says:

    On Sunday, 25 November 2012 23:06:04 UTC+10, Brian  wrote:

    > But if your going to refer everyone to this forum then what is the purpose

    > of this newsgroup?

    > I find newsgroups easier to use than forums.

    It doesn’t really have much of a purpose any more. It can’t be deleted however, so we must keep advertising the forum. You don’t have to move to the forum, you can post here, just know that many people no longer read the newsgroup any more. I only check here because I have other google groups I must read, other ones with far less spam too.

  10. admin says:

    - Hide quoted text — Show quoted text -

    Dannii <curiousdan…@gmail.com> wrote:

    > On Sunday, 25 November 2012 23:06:04 UTC+10, Brian  wrote:

    >> But if your going to refer everyone to this forum then what is the purpose

    >> of this newsgroup?

    >> I find newsgroups easier to use than forums.

    > It doesn’t really have much of a purpose any more. It can’t be deleted

    > however, so we must keep advertising the forum. You don’t have to move to

    > the forum, you can post here, just know that many people no longer read

    > the newsgroup any more. I only check here because I have other google

    > groups I must read, other ones with far less spam too.

    Some of this is due to internet providers not supporting newsgroups anymore

    so you often have to pay a company to get access to newsgroups.


    Regards Brian

  11. admin says:

    "Katzy" <ka…@noname.at.all> wrote:

    > Hello.

    > Brian wrote in message

    > <1995350832375541063.785154bclark-es.co…@free.teranews.com>…

    >> pander <pande…@yahoo.dot.com> wrote:

    >> Back in the days when Zork was being sold I felt that I was not getting my

    >> moneys worth if I got struck in an adventure and could not more forward to

    >> enjoy the rest of the game. In those days you did not have the internet to

    >> find some clues to help making some progress in the game.

    > Right. You had the magazines with hints and cheats.

    > Bye, Katzy.

    In those days people were keen to make money so you had to pay for the

    hints to be sent to you from the company that created the adventure. These

    days you have magazines with hints and cheats.


    Regards Brian

  12. admin says:

    On 2012-11-26 13:17:29 +0000, Brian said:

    - Hide quoted text — Show quoted text -

    > Dannii <curiousdan…@gmail.com> wrote:

    >> On Sunday, 25 November 2012 23:06:04 UTC+10, Brian  wrote:

    >>> But if your going to refer everyone to this forum then what is the purpose

    >>> of this newsgroup?

    >>> I find newsgroups easier to use than forums.

    >> It doesn’t really have much of a purpose any more. It can’t be deleted

    >> however, so we must keep advertising the forum. You don’t have to move to

    >> the forum, you can post here, just know that many people no longer read

    >> the newsgroup any more. I only check here because I have other google

    >> groups I must read, other ones with far less spam too.

    > Some of this is due to internet providers not supporting newsgroups anymore

    > so you often have to pay a company to get access to newsgroups.

    And some people were driven away a year or two back by a massive
    spamstorm clearly intended to bring down the system.


    John W Kennedy

    "When a man contemplates forcing his own convictions down another man’s
    throat, he is contemplating both an unchristian act and an act of
    treason to the United States."

      — Joy Davidman, "Smoke on the Mountain"

  13. admin says:

    On 2012-11-26 13:17:30 +0000, Brian said:

    - Hide quoted text — Show quoted text -

    > "Katzy" <ka…@noname.at.all> wrote:

    >> Hello.

    >> Brian wrote in message

    >> <1995350832375541063.785154bclark-es.co…@free.teranews.com>…

    >>> pander <pande…@yahoo.dot.com> wrote:

    >>> Back in the days when Zork was being sold I felt that I was not getting my

    >>> moneys worth if I got struck in an adventure and could not more forward to

    >>> enjoy the rest of the game. In those days you did not have the internet to

    >>> find some clues to help making some progress in the game.

    >> Right. You had the magazines with hints and cheats.

    >> Bye, Katzy.

    > In those days people were keen to make money so you had to pay for the

    > hints to be sent to you from the company that created the adventure. These

    > days you have magazines with hints and cheats.

    The magazines existed back then, too — and has everyone but me
    forgotten ADVENT on CompuServe?


    John W Kennedy

    "Give up vows and dogmas, and fixed things, and you may grow like That.
    …you may come to think a blow bad, because it hurts, and not because
    it humiliates.  You may come to think murder wrong, because it is
    violent, and not because it is unjust."

      — G. K. Chesterton.  "The Ball and the Cross"

  14. admin says:

    Brian <bcl…@es.co.nz> wrote:

    > Dannii <curiousdan…@gmail.com> wrote:

    >> It doesn’t really have much of a purpose any more. It can’t be deleted

    >> however, so we must keep advertising the forum. You don’t have to move to

    >> the forum, you can post here, just know that many people no longer read

    >> the newsgroup any more. I only check here because I have other google

    >> groups I must read, other ones with far less spam too.

    > Some of this is due to internet providers not supporting newsgroups anymore

    > so you often have to pay a company to get access to newsgroups.

    There are albasani.net and eternal-september.org to name a couple free
    servers.  They do accept donations.  I’ve been happy with
    eternal-september.org since sbcglobal shut down their newsserver.  It’s
    run better too.


    David Griffith

    davidmylastn…@acm.org   <— Put my last name where it belongs

  15. admin says:

    - Hide quoted text — Show quoted text -

    On Monday, November 26, 2012 9:14:48 AM UTC-5, John W Kennedy wrote:

    > On 2012-11-26 13:17:29 +0000, Brian said:

    > > Dannii <curiousdan…@gmail.com> wrote:

    > >> On Sunday, 25 November 2012 23:06:04 UTC+10, Brian  wrote:

    > >>> But if your going to refer everyone to this forum then what is

    > >>> the purpose of this newsgroup?  I find newsgroups easier to

    > >>> use than forums.

    > >> It doesn’t really have much of a purpose any more. It can’t be

    > >> deleted however, so we must keep advertising the forum. You

    > >> don’t have to move to the forum, you can post here, just know

    > >> that many people no longer read the newsgroup any more. I only

    > >> check here because I have other google groups I must read,

    > >> other ones with far less spam too.

    > > Some of this is due to internet providers not supporting

    > > newsgroups anymore so you often have to pay a company to get

    > > access to newsgroups.

    > And some people were driven away a year or two back by a massive

    > spamstorm clearly intended to bring down the system.

    I am still suspicious that the spamstorm was instigated by those

    anti-Usenet individuals who were promoting the forum. But I’m well

    known for unwarranted suspicions.

  16. admin says:

    On Monday, November 26, 2012 9:16:20 AM UTC-5, John W Kennedy wrote:

    > On 2012-11-26 13:17:30 +0000, Brian said:

    > The magazines existed back then, too — and has everyone but me

    > forgotten ADVENT on CompuServe?

    I certainly remember.  Does anyone know what version of ADVENT ran on CompuServe in 1981?

  17. admin says:

    On 2012-12-04 17:09:09 +0000, tee…@gmail.com said:

    > On Monday, November 26, 2012 9:16:20 AM UTC-5, John W Kennedy wrote:

    >> On 2012-11-26 13:17:30 +0000, Brian said:

    >> The magazines existed back then, too — and has everyone but me

    >> forgotten ADVENT on CompuServe?

    > I certainly remember.  Does anyone know what version of ADVENT ran on
    > CompuServe in 1981?

    Well, I meant the forum. But the really surprising thing on CompuServe
    was a copy of MIT Zork (or more probably FORTRAN Zork/Dungeon), except
    that it was called "House of Banshi" and there was a global replace of
    "Zork" with "Banshi".


    John W Kennedy

    "The first effect of not believing in God is to believe in anything…."

      — Emile Cammaerts, "The Laughing Prophet"

Place your comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.